Sunday, August 12, 2007

God bless hostels in City U





So many things happened in a day. Not only the praise and worship at Queen Elizabeth Stadium was great, thing that followed was also out of my expectation.


Two minutes after I greeted my dad at the place where I grew up as a child, my good friend Barbara called. Barbara used to study in HKU and now works in CityU after serving at HKIEd for a while. She even moved into the CityU student hostel serving as Resident Associate this month. We had been friends while we both served the same team in hostel in Lingnan back in 1996. While she called, she was at CityU office working her treadmill throughout the day and planned to go back to HKU in clearing her office and returned the key. Before she called the taxi, she gave me a call telling me about the things for tomorrow. For some reasons, I drove to HK island today for all the functions held on the island throughout the day and therefore I said : "oh, great. I can give you a ride back home."
While I said this, I still remember she was living in Taipo.

"You are my first guest here." Barbara told me once we entered her room in CityU student hostel. Yes, she just moved here for a week. I had visited most of the hostels in Universities in HK but not yet the one in CityU. For someone who love campus like me, this is a great opportunity in visiting other campuses. However, the visit was not the most important. What strikes us was the prayers in her new room in CityU which not only for each of us but for this place, the hostel and the residents to be moved in the new academic year. I thought my heart only burned when praying for Lingnan students but I was wrong. Lord has shaped me and widened my heart via different circumstances this year. This is HIS work. Once I started praying, I have a strong sense that the roundabout, focal point of the nine surrounding hostels, is going to be the place for praise and worship. Both Barbara and myself prayed with tears that people here are going to get together and prayed for their campus and their fellow hallmates. Lord loves College students, so he for sure will send his servants here. The only thing that makes the difference is whether we, servants of the Lord, put out the light of the spirit. (1 Thessalonians 5:19)


Lord, I prayed that you will connect people in CityU. Touch upon the hearts of the Christians who have visions on campus revival during their high school years to know your will and way in CityU when entering there. I prayed that you will connect the Christians from each of the nine halls and get them together to pray for their campus. Not only that, Lord, call upon your servants who worked and interacted with students everyday. Let the Residents Associates/Wardens or any other staff members who love CityU to focus in you and know your ways in CityU. Lord, they were called to work in CityU and love CityU for a reason. To love these group of students and be the channel of you, Lord. You love College students, Lord. May praise and worship be the focus of the people on University campuses, Lord.
Lord, thank you for widening my heart. Sorry Lord, I only limit myself on Lingnan before. I only prayed with a burning heart for Lingnan before. Sorry Lord. Thank you for giving me this great and yet unexpected opportunity in praying for the campuses with my great friend Barbara Lord. Your preparation is always far beyond our minds. (Isaiah, 64:4; 1 Corinthians, 2:9). More than 10 years ago, we worked together in another campus. Throughout these times, we both worked and lived in an earthly way before knowing you. Lord, thank you for forgiving our sins and keeping us together again after all these years and able to pray for your beloved College students. Lord, this is such a wonderful blessing from you.

Thank you Jesus, we love you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dear Jenny,

Thank you so much for your coming to CityU, my new home and gave me such a huge hand for the ride....yes, I argee with you, the prayers was the center yesterday, I know is God encouraged his servants who have hearts in campus coming together, calling us to work with HIM, it is a CALLING to you, Jenny...I am so happy we can share this vision together, I will pray everyday for the worship in the roundabout until I see the day come!!

Talk to you after, I share your blog to my colleagues too ^^

Yours Barbara